Monday, February 27, 2006

I'm old

For some reason today I'm feeling very old. Not sure why.

Well, two things have triggered it. It is this week ten years ago me and my friends started university. Ten years, people. A decade. And what have I achieved in that decade? Heh. As muller said, I've bought a lot of shoes.

That's about it. I don't regret anything I've done in the past ten years. Well, I do, but most of them were in the last year, so I'm not putting that down to anything other than, um, boredom, lonliness and stupidity.

But ten years. Wow.

Ten years since I was officially young and stupid.

Well, ten years and also, yesterday.

And also, I realised last night, that if I were to date a man twice my age, he'd be 56.

Eew.

Now, I don't necessarily want to go out with a man twice my age. Especially not if he's 56. Again. EEEEW. But now I really can't. The door to that kind of stupidity has been closed to me. I've never really gone out with anyone sinificantly older than me. five years here, eight there, but no-one with, like, a decade on me. And now if I were to, he'd be old.

Muller tells me the French rule of thumb for age difference is double your age and minus seven years. so 49. Nah, that's too old. And following the same rule, (halve and add seven) anyone younger than 21 is to young for me. And you know what? A twenty one year old. Eew.
So my own rule of thumb? 28-35. I can't imagine going out with anyone younger than me (I never have) and anyone older than 35 - well, likely to be far to sorted for me.

So, I'm old. I'm not actually, and in the prologue of a book I'm reading at the moment, a guy waxes lyrical about turning thirty, and how it's a great birthday, because you are young enough to stay out all night, and old enough to have a credit card (presumably for the mammoth cocktails staying out all night now requires?). So I'm not old. Not at all.

Why do I hate 28 so much? Are there any numerology specialists out there?