Wednesday, February 02, 2005

I'm almost officially old

Caza pointed out in the comments that I am turning 27 on Sunday (presents gratefully accepted). I'm old. 27 is late 20's. I'm in my late twenties. I remember being 16, and thinking that by now I'd have a career (not so much) be married (nope) maybe be pregnant or at least thinking about it (not even close). Instead, I have an impressive handbag collection, stupid hair, 3 fish, a bunch of amazing friends scattered around the world and really good memories. I go to a boring job every day, and dream about the pretty shoes in the window in Lippy.

I have learnt some things along the way, though. So, in honour of that, I thought I'd share some wisdom.

  • Tequila shots invariably end badly. And embarrassingly. Usually involving members of the opposite sex. Of course, there's not actually anything wrong with that.
  • Grown women should not wear pigtails, or too tight clothes. Or tops that are too short. Or anything bought at a shop catering to 12 year olds. And by grown women, I mean women over 40.
  • Family is important. They are the only people who know who you are and where you came from.
  • The hardest thing in the world is saying goodbye to someone you loved.
  • It's important to have goals. It's much more fun to have impossible dreams.
  • Never let them see you cry.
  • Working in retail sucks. Get a better job.
  • If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. Buy the best you can afford, and live with it.
  • Don't keep things for 'good'. You'll never get to use them, and they'll be wasted.
  • If you are gonna say something, make it important. (Although I struggle to live by this, clearly.)
  • Lift doors and hands? Not a good combination.
  • Be self involved. No one cares about you as much as you care about yourself.
  • Remember, someone is always worst off than you.

And always, always, remember pink, glitter, flowers and pretty things will always make you smile. Even while you are crying about the debt on your credit card. You only live once....debt can wait.

Happy birthday to me.