Sunday, January 30, 2005

lies, damn lies and statistics

I hate looking for a flat. But, I have learned/remembered a thing or two in the past couple of weeks I had forgotten:

Villa = crappy old house with leaky ceilings, damp smell and bad security
Fun-loving flatmates = just escaped from the asylum loon
Central City = Anywhere between here and the outskirts of the city
townhouse = poky room, and tiny bathroom

But the best story is yet to come. I rang a flat yesterday, which in the ad sounded good. Reasonable rent, good location, said funloving flatmates. Well. How wrong you can be. Flatmates at this particular house, are a 42 year old woman, a 26 year old man (who is doing research and some 'life changing' stuff, apparently) a 24 year old student, and occasionally a 12 year old girl. Right. Well, no offence, and not to be ageist, but I'm 26 (and clinging to that for another week) and don;t really want to live with a 62 year old man. Unless he has a lot of money and a serious heart condition.

But what was hilarious was that the woman said to me on the phone..."We don't mind noise, and stuff, as long as it's in your own room, and not too late. Oh, and there's occasional pot smoking."

Occasional pot smoking? Ok. If you are mentioning it to a person you have never met , it's clearly not occasional. If it's that much at the top of your head, that you feel you need to make it clear before a person not only moves in, but comes to look at the house, it's not occasional. I have nothing against occasional pot smoking. Several of my friends are 'occasional' (or...habitual) pot smokers. And I spent long enough at university to not care. But lady, by the sound of it, you are not an occasional smoker...

I should have gone to have a look. It could have been hilarious. Or, I should have said, that's OK, I'm stoned right now, and just never showed up, like a good stoner.

And, I shouldn;t be so judgemental. I may have missed out on a lot by not moving in with them. Like really good drugs.

You know, it's times like this I'm glad my parents aren;t internet savvy enough to actually read my blog!