Monday, July 03, 2006

restaurant reviews

Clare keeps reminding me to do restaurant reviews for the day of fun last weekend.

Clare and I begun the day at Arizona, which is, according to its website, 'perfect for a relaxed weekend brunch'. Yeah, not so much. The service was good. The food was, well, exactly what we should have expected. But not good. I never thought I'd say this, but too much bacon. Too, too greasy. The bread was too big. And hard to eat. And the tea took too long to come.

Then, it was up the coast to the lindale martkets (?), where we sampled a number of excellent free cheeses. Which are always good.

Then, we went to Cobb and Co. Where they no longer have Blue Lagoons or Cobb Crunchies. Well, it was kind of hard to tell because our waitress (youse ready to order?) wasn't exactly clear. Turns out they do still have them, but they are different now. Apparently they are shaped like letters, and thinner, and god knows what else. My traffic light was fine, and Caza's Pink Pantherwas by all accounts good. She also seemed impressed with her schnitzel, so that's nice. Clare and Caza had shrimp cocktails which they were impressed with, and I had garlic bread, which while it had clearly been heated in the microwave was fine. But the roast chicken. Oh dear, the roast chicken Clare and I had. First of all, I think they were playing fast and loose with the term chicken. Ubiquitous white roast meat, I think would be more accurate. And in order to disguise that, it was smothered in gravy. Which because the meal sat too long under the lights, had a skin on top of it. Yep...eeew. The vegetables, which were cooked nicely, were likewise covered in packet cheese sauce. So, no all in all, not a good return to our childhoods.

Although, once when we went to cobb and co, my father wrote "worst meal ever" on the back of the cheque, so actually, maybe it was.

Best meal of the day? Denny's in the afternoon. Which was redeemed by nachos with a good amount of cheese, and an excellent Oreo sundae. Because it would be very difficult to mess up ice cream, crushed biscuits, and a good inch of chocolate sauce at the top.

I feel sick just remembering it.