Monday, August 30, 2004

integrity and relevance and soccer

We just had a interesting lecture from Manu Taylor, programme director for Mai FM in Auckland.

He said 'your audience will decide your relevance'. So thanks guys, for making me relevant. Heh. You are my audience. If only you were captive. Well, there is that guy in my wardrobe, but I don't let him have internet access.

Hmm. That was an intriguing tangent.

He also said that intgrity is the only things that matters. Shame I can't even spell integrity.
No really, I agree with him. I like to think that getting out here and spieling forth my opinions shows I have integrity. I also like to think I walk the walk behind my talk. I will tell you that you need to give whatever you can to charity, even if it is only 50c. I do that. I give UNICEF $15 a month, when really, I would much rather spend that money on, you know, rent and food and stuff. But I do it cos I think it is important.

I know who I am. I don't know who I want to be when I grow up, and maybe I don't know what my place in the world is yet, but that's more cos I don't understand the world. But I'm secure in who I am and what I'm good at, and what I'm bad at. It's why I feel comfortable sitting in front of this computer and sharing my deepest and darkest with you (come on, I just told you I had a guy tied up in my wardrobe, that's pretty deep and dark). It's because I honestly think my opinions have value. I mean, not all my opinions. I'm not gonna sit here and discuss soccer, cos I honestly know nothing about it. Except that it's a sport for girls. A very skilled and technically demanding sport, but nonetheless, girls.

I have a many and varied range of opinions. I don't believe in quotas on TV or radio, but I do believe in them in academia. I don't believe in religion, but I do believe in faith. I don't believe in science, but I do believe in study. That last one is going to get me in trouble. Again.

I'm the girl who can't shut up. I'm the girl who also doesn't always think before she speaks. I'm the girl who told a class full of political science students that she'd sleep with Bill Clinton. It wasn't what i meant, but it haunts me anyway. As do a few other things about that year (shut up you two, you'll get your chance).

I'm also the girl who talks about herself in the third person. And seeing as I think that's about as sad as it comes, I'll pretty much stop there. See? Integrity.

I may be back tomorrow. Providing the police don't come and arrest me for that guy in the wardrobe comment. Dude, seriously, where would he be, underneath all the shoes?