Monday, August 23, 2004

enough is enough

I know I've already posted once today, but I feel compelled to again.

I am reliably (thanks Caza) informed that the streets of Wellington are filled with people protesting the civil unions bill.

So, to the protesters....

Seriously. Shut Up.

What i don't understand, is what it has to do with you - right wing, bible bashing hypocrites? (Not to generalise or anything.)

Do you not understand that this bill protects marriage? All civil union does is give people who want to be in a committed relationship legal rights. And that's for same sex and homosexual couples. It's also for people like me who don't believe overly much in religion, and therefore don't want to get married in a church. I don't know if I believe in God (and I certainly don't believe in Destiny Church's god), so why would I want to stand in front of him and declare my love for another person.

Some woman apparently said":

"I just really believe in the sanctity of marriage between a husband and a wife.""

How does civil union threaten that? It isn't destroying the sanctity of marriage, in fact if anything, it is granting marriage special status.

I know a bunch of people who would love to be able to stand up and share their love with their friends and families and declare their commitment to their partner and because the law doesn't recognise them, they can't. It doesn't matter that you think homosexuality is ''immoral and wrong'. No one's asking you to partake. This is a question of law, not a question of morals, and all The Bill does, is give everyone, regardless of their sexual persuasion or religious belief, the same rights under the law.

How about all the people who don't believe in civil unions, just keep you noses out of other peoples busness? How does it effect you to have civil unions? What difference is it making to your life? It will destroy society, you say? Well, contraception, women working, feminism, suffrage, rock and roll music, trading on Sundays, bikinis and were all going to do that as well. We've survived that, I think we can survive this.

Congratulations to the government and David Benson-Pope for promoting this bill.

The rest of you, shut up, and keep out of other people's lives.