Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Emmys '07

OK first some thoughts. I thought there was a lot of playing it safe, but it was nice to see a good use of colour...pinks and yellows, and one wonderful blue. There was lots of strapless and 'drapey' dresses, and more than a couple that looked like a piece of satin wrapped around someone in a bath towel fashion.

And oh my god the hair. While it is nice not to see everyone with hair flat-ironed to within an inch of its life, a lot of the hair looked kind of frizzy. I felt like some of the hairstyles which were maybe meant to be light and wavy ended up looking fluffy. Although that could have been the heat. Apparently it was hot (was it held in Marseilles?).


Felicity Huffman, in David Meister. Props for the great colour choice, which really does work for her. But I feel like she really loves this "overly-plunging-so-you-can-see-i-only-ate-egg-whites-for-breakfast look on her heaps of times. And there's only so many times I can look at Mrs Macy's bony chest before I start wanting to scream "eat a hamburger, lady!"

The lovely Chandra Wilson in Randi Rahm, and I love this. It's a great colour (I am very into grey at the moment) and is so flattering. Plus look at her good make up and nice hair. Plus, sparkly!
So, I have a complete girl crush on Kate Walsh, mainly cos of her incredible hair, and attitude. And in this Pamela Dennis dress, let's face it, she's smoking. It's such a rich red, and the red lips are great. But her hair is awful. I love your hair Kate, don't hide it away, except for one annoyingly frizzy bit, that looks like the first piece of hair to fall out of an elaborately constructed up do after one too many cocktails.

Hmm. I liked this when I first saw it, but on reflection, I don't really. The random hole, the slightly bouffant hair. The colour makes Sara Ramirez's skin look great, and I like her pretty dangly earrings. It's very old-school glamoury. Except for the hole. The hole is old-school gansta slapper.

I was so looking forward to writing about this. I love the Michael Kors dress, especially with the little detail of the belt. But the hair? I have a theory. Maybe Ellen Pompeo isn't as thin as we all think. Maybe she just wears these huge hairstyles to make her body look smaller? That must be it, right? There's no other reason for this, surely?

Oh Anna. The blond? I don't like it. The dress? I'm not a fan. But you re a New Zealander on the red carpet, and you had your photo taken with Al Gore, so I am going to shut up and enjoy your presence.
Sandra Oh, in Bottega Veneta. Yay! If you were going to a ball at which you were expecting to see your ex and his wife and thought to yourself 'I want to look the picture of elegance and sophistication' this is what you would wear. Of course, you wouldn't pick a fight with your hairdresser, resulting in crazy frizz. Or maybe that's just me.
Well, Eva Longoria, really knows how to dress to flatter her shape and how to do her hair (see, curls, and no frizz!) and makeup. But I feel like we've seen her in this Kaufman Franco dress many times before. And with the reflecting and the fact it is probably really heavy, she must have been sweeting like a...well, like something really unflattering. Oh, and Tony Parker should have married me.

Ali larter is from some show I don't watch, although she was once in a movie with Dawson, which is awesome. I love the colour of this Reem Acra dress. But...yawn.

I have a well-documented love of tulle, so Kyra Sedgwick, in this Oscar de la Renta was always going to work for me. And her hair looks great. And so does her make up. And she has a hot husband. Bitch.

Speaking of bitches....Hi Heidi Klum. Can I please have this Dior dress? Just to hang on my wall, really, to remind myself what a really great dress should look like, and to inspire me to do all those important things....like get out of bed in the morning. And maybe then I'll forget the hair which is bordering on birds' nest. I love the colour and its cut and how it makes you look. You could look good in anything, so instead of wearing this, why don't you give it to me, and i'll construct you a nice rubbish bag dress.
She's so hot. But again, I feel like we've seen Helen in this a number of times before.

Katherine Heigl is apparently engaged. So maybe she is auditioning wedding frocks. Or she just couldn't be bothered looking at two different kinds of dresses. Whatever, I don't think she should get married in this Zac Posen dress. I always think dresses with fishtails like this make women look really hippy. Which she's not. Also, on the TV, it honestly looked like she was wearing no makeup, and her lipstick was coming off. Chanel did her make up though, so what would I know?

Apparently Jenna Fischer broke her back, poor thing. I'm not sure that that's an excuse for this, though.

America Ferrera, in Monique Lhuillier, looks exactly how she should. Not like she's fallen and broken her neck in a boob-crushing, arm bending gown. Such a great colour and so age and occasion and personality appropriate.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus, in Narciso Rodriguez...Meh.

Oh, they are such a pretty couple. Ellen in Gucci, does her thing and looks great, and Portia has this amazing Azzaro dress, with this incredible colour and this necklace that just makes me want to scream 'OH MY GOD IT IS A SNAKE, GET IT OFF MY NECK!!!' Stupid necklace.
Marcia Cross had twins six months ago. In Georges Chakra you can't tell at all. So it is a shame that it makes her look like she would much, much, rather be at home with the twins that at the Emmys.

According to Carson Kressley and some woman I've never heard of on E's red carpet show, Debra Messing is a style icon. Then why does she wear pretty much the same dress (sorry, Ralph Lauren) and hair and makeup every time she is on the red carpet? I get finding a flattering thing and sticking to it, I really do. But 'style icon' does not equal boring. As far as I know.

I saved the best for last. Vanessa Williams in Kevan Hall. Like the Fug Girls, I'm torn. On the one hand there is a myriad of big bird jokes. On the other hand, there is colour, which is amazing on her, and the fact that she looks amazing and kind of pulls it off. And the fact that she seems kind of like she'd bitch-slap me if I said I didn't like it. I'm on the fence.