Saturday, February 17, 2007

Being a tourist in your own city.

So, Gilly and I took Shane to Te Papa. He was fairly quiet, owing to the large amount of beer he drank last night. Nice to see him celebrating the Black Caps very good win, but still. No one needs to drink quite that much.

(Just as an aside, how good was that win? Take into account the depleted Aussie side, sure, but even with Bracken and McGrath opening the bowling, the openers managed to keep their wickets, something they haven't been able to do in some time. And 5-23 are figures any international bowler would kill for. Not to mention that catch.)

Anyway, we went to Te Papa, where shane seemed to enjoy the scupture garden.


I'll let Shane pick it up from here.

So, I sat on a yacht and a combi van, which are apparently 'art'. Or scupture. I'm not sure how, but Gilly knows some stuff about art, and she said it is.

Then while I was pretending to be a pirate, Megan took this photo.


Something about making Clare's head explode?

Megan and Clare seemed to like a lot some thing called Toi te Papa. Some guy called Colin is very cool, apparently.

While they looked at some dresses that were apparently fashion through the ages, and went to some thing called "Golden Days", I playes in the kids area. Not that I'm a kid, mind you, but I was feeling a bit sensitive today.

First I was a shopkeeper.


And then the girls came back and so I put on a play for Gilly.

We wandered around and looked at some things, and then we went outside, where I sunbathed on a rock. In the manner of a seal.

And then we went to this place on the waterfront, where they sell hotdogs. Seeing Peter's one made me want one.


Being Canadian, I know something about hot dogs. And this wasn't a good one.

I heartily concur with this. Except the service was awful, and the dog not at all good. And Megan isn't feeling well now, which she's blaming on the dog.

Anyway, it was fun to get to know my new city.