Monday, July 31, 2006

I miss my shifts!

For all that I complain about working shifts, I miss my shifts.

I am working mon-fri, 9-5 for the next three weeks. While having a weekend was fun (the party - no gossip, nothing got broken, no one was even very drunk. it was ridiculously civilised...dammit) and i got to have coffee with Jane on sunday and go to the Kirk's sale and all of that, seriously, when do people do things?

When I have time off during the day, I go to the gym, and I buy a paper and a coffee and linger. I sit out in the sun. I people watch. I go to a movie and a gallery, and te papa. I go to the bank. I go to the doctor. Ok, I don't actually go to the doctor, but I could if i wanted to. I can get my hair done and a facial and all that. Or, I can lie in bed and read a book, and feel smug about the fact the rest of the world is at work.

When you work 9-5, you can't do that. You leave in the dark, and you get home in the dark. I had little or no inclination to go out in the first couple of nights after work. By Wednesday, I was so bored, I went for a walk, just to get out of the house. And nothing is open at 8.00.

The thing about working shifts is, yeah, you have to be organised so you actually see people. And no, I'm not great at night shifts, because i tend to sleep to much and cut myself off from the world. But I actually like it. First of all, there's much more variety in life. And you get to do stuff.
Anyway, that's really all, and by way of explanation as to why I haven't been posting much - time, but no way (no computer at home, and to cold to walk to an internet cafe. But I'll be back soon.