Monday, October 17, 2005

Make a cup of tea, this may take a while.

I have a lot to get off my chest. So, settle in, make a cup of tea, put on your slippers, and take the phone off the hook.

The Gospel according to Megan Wegan.

i. Congratulations to Rosita. While I wanted to Nik to win (cos he's hot. Very very hot), you know, she deserves her 12 minutes of fame. For having the balls to wear that dress on stage, if for no other reason. Now. you may want to cast your eye over the poll.

ii. Now. You would think that since the final of New Zealand Idol coincides with the beginning Air New Zealand fashion week, some of the people on NZI (not the insurance company) could you know, wear fashion. I think Jackie Clarke recycled a dress from back when 'The Cats Away' was famous. I would find a picture, and link to it, but I don't think it's necessary for anyone to see that again. Now, I know I'm hardly a doyenne of fashion (although manners is a whole different issue), but really. Putting extra fabric on your hips....is never a good look. For anyone. And some of the outfits. I know these people are styled to within an inch of their lives, but surely they don't look in a mirror and think they look good?

iii. Well, what a day. NZ Idol results, and a new government. (You may wish to read something into the order in which I wrote about these two items. I couldn't possibly say.) So. Again, I shall refer you to the poll to your right. I have to say, I know a number of very annoyed Labour voters.

iv. Now, I have been resoundingly criticised in the past for being patronising. If you are one of the people who thinks so, you may wish to scroll down to v. I want to talk about life experience. I don't think what life experience brings can be overrated. It took me a good 5 years, after I finished my BA, to figure out what I wanted to do. (Ironically ending up back where I was when I was 13). It took 2 years for me to figure out what I thought I wanted was in fact, the right thing for me to do. It meant that I had to love with people saying 'when are you gonna get a real job' for another 2 years. It meant finally giving up on my dream of being an oscar winning actress. It meant, growing up. Recent history shows me I'm incredibly capable of fecking up my life. And other people's in the process. But chalk it all up to experience and move on. I think that some of the people in my life have missed out. One of the coolest times in my life was the 4 months I spent bumming around in Australia, 'finding myself'. I would never have termed it finding myself at the time, but it really was. I came back, knowing what it was I wanted to do. And I did it. I can't imagine going from high school, to a course as involved as b-school, to a career, without some kind of 'gap' (no pun intended) in the middle. Or, in my case, a seven year gap. Even spending some time unemployed is important. It gives you clarity, and makes you willing to work for what you get. I'm not saying that not having these things make you less willing to work hard, or anything like that, but I've always told people who don;t know what they want to do, to get out there and do something. Figure out what you don't want to do, and you are one step closer to knowing what you do want to do. And i've done some pretty crappy jobs in my time, and spent some mind-numbing days. Enought to know that I'm incredibly lucky to have found something I like and am good at.

v. Hmm. Where to next? Well, i know it is incredibly self-indulgent to talk about your dreams, but this is my blog, so if you don't like it, bite me. I had a dream last night that I got married. Apparently I'm gonna marry someone at my work, because they were writing their vows in the computer programme that we use at work. And I kept going and changing them to things like ' I promise to buy you a pretty pair of shoes every month' and 'I promise to always vacuum and make the bed'. And then I was working at coffee culture and there were mean customers and I was trying to plan my wedding and it was all very fraught. And for some reason Caza was in charge of my flowers, and the music, and she kept taking over. Like I would let anyone have any kind of input into my wedding (even the groom). I never made it down the aisle, oddly.

vi. I've been thinking about friendships. I have been reading Sars long enough to know sometimes, you just grow out of friendships. I have some friends, that I talk to maybe twice a year, and who I still think of as really close friends (hi racey!). Then there's those people who i have known since we held up the Ranfurly shield together (Bells, can I get that photo? I'd like to post it. Heh!), and who are still the first people I turn to when stuff happens, be it good or bad. Then there's the people who I haven't seen for 2 years, but who I still think of as my favourite people. And there's all the new people who have come into my life. And then there's the others. You know who you are. I am going through an incredibly annoyed time in my life. I am fed up with a lot of people. I think the one of the fundamental parts of a friendship is respect (and humour, and caring and shared 'stuff'). Respect for your views, for what you want, for who you are, and for the things that you do. I don;t know what I'm trying to articulate here, or, what my point is, but there's one in there somewhere.

vii. So, last point, and I've been saying this a lot recently. Ignore me. First of all, i'm in a particularly maudlin and grumpy place at the moment, and no, I don't know why. But that's not why you should ignore me. You should do that, cos you were going to do anyway. People usually end up doing what they want. And it usually ends up being the right thing. Even if you can't tell that at the time.

Here endeth the sermon.