My friends often give me shit, because one day I made the mistake of saying: "I don't believe in Science". Of course they also give me shit because I once said "I'd sleep with Bill Clinton", but that's another story for another day.
I have been reading a Dan Brown book which kind of make my comment make sense. The book is about the battle between religion and science.
For the record, I don't believe in either.
The comment has often been taken out of context (damn media!). It's not that I don't believe in the discipline of science, and that people who can do that stuff shouldn't strive to find answers, and to cure cancer, and all those good things.
Just, don't talk to me about something being scientifically proven. Because so was thalydomide (sp?), nuclear technology was created to help people, and genetic engineering will feed Africa.
But then, nor do I believe in religion. Organised religion distorts God, by making people follow Man's rules. By making people attend church on a specific day, time and place, to me, it takes faith out of the equation, and ads in duty and obligation. By making abritrary rules (fish on Friday - which I realise isn't abritrary, but traditional, but it was the only example i couldn't think of) to me, that moves people further away from God, not closer.
To me, God, or at least some kind of divinity is present in the things both science and religion try to expain. How did the world start? God or the big bang? (Heh, funny typo there originally, God or the Big Band - swing music to start your world anybody?) Why are people they way they are? DNA or good versus evil. Science can tell me the sky is blue because it is refracting and reflecting, and religion can tell me it's some other reason, but to me, it's just pretty.
The gospel according to Megan.
Thursday, February 24, 2005
A question answered.
Posted by
wegan
at
11:14 AM
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)

|